RE-ACCREDITED WITH 'A' GRADE BY NAAC CGPA: 3.45
RECOGNIZED AS COLLEGE WITH POTENTIAL FOR EXCELLENCE BY UGC
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology houses a fully equipped Bioinformatics and Pharmacogenomics laboratory containing 21 computers with 24x7 high speed WiFi internet facility. Such fully dedicated facility for performing bioinformatics and pharmacogenomics practicals and projects, and is one of its kind in central India. Here we perform research of global standards utilizing the power of modern biotechnological and bioinformatics tools and software.
Tissue Culture Lab
The department runs self finance research oriented short term course on “Certificate Course in Plant Tissue Culture” for the students of B.Sc. (Sem-V and Sem-VI) final year for Six months duration. The first batch started from 2012-13 academic session. The course has maximum 12 students intake capacity for each batch. The course is designed to equip participants with the understanding and skills to carry out and initiate in vitro regeneration in plants and to emphasize the importance of tissue culture as a pre-requisite to the application of plant biotechnology in conservation of rare and endangered plant species of Vidarbha region. Techniques are included in curriculum as an introduction to plant tissue culture, experimental techniques, explants selection, media preparation, explants sterilization, inoculation technique, callus induction, multiple shooting and rooting, regeneration and hardening including many hands-on practical sessions. It focuses on course work that relates directly to plant tissue culture research and biotechnology industry and facilitates immediate employment to students as a laboratory proprietors, laboratory supervisors and laboratory technicians.
Animal and Insect Cell Culture Laboratory
At the Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology we have established a facility for culture of animal and insect cells. The laboratory provides full scope for research in Cell and Molecular Biology of in vitro cultured animal and insect cells. The laboratory includes a contained environment system to avoid microbial contamination and to maintain sterility. This laboratory has been a source of world-class research publications resulting from our department.
Drosophila genetics and stock maintenance
A fly lab has been recently established in the Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology to increase the expanse of research performed by the faculty members. Presently, the lab maintains the genetically modified stocks of Drosophila principally required for conducting research on neurobiological aspects of the fly. Flies serve as handy laboratory models to study variety of aspects related to genetics, molecular biology, drug interaction and developmental biological studies.
Post P. G. Dioploma (one Year) in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
Nanotechnology is one of very new subjects which are being studied all over the globe. The objective of the course is to educate students in the rapidly expanding area of nanotechnology. Benefiting from the university's strong multidisciplinary approach to modem science they will acquire up-to-date training in all new nanotechnology laboratory techniques such as clean room technique and high resolution microscopies. Training will equip them for a wide variety of carriers and help them develop the innovative and entrepreneurial skill to thrive in emerging high tech industries. There is an international job market and an area that is continuously expanding world wide. This course will equip students with skill to enhance their employability.
• This diploma is an undertaking designed to prepare students as researchers in world in which scientific discovery and exploitation of nano-scale phenomenon and engineering of very small will carry the next industrial resolution.
• The course will provide highly interdisciplinary learning experience to enable and contribute effectively to the research, development and commercial exploitation of nanotechnology.
• This course will encourage, promote and make use of brilliant ideas of the students for promoting scientific and technological applications for the benefit of the society.
• This course includes theoretical and practical information on fundamentals and applications of Nanoscience and technology. It also includes projects of synthesizing the Nano materials and visit to related research laboratories, industries etc.
• This course designed to provide students training for employment in new and emerging science based industries.
• This course is designed to enhance the skill of the students needed to start up individual business enterprise.
• This course will provide the platform to the students and learners to promote the growth of the Nano materials and its fullest uses in the domestic and industrial arena.
• The course will be useful to the students from the multidisciplinary programme.
• This course will cater for a wide range of training requirements by provision of part time study option in-service researchers too.
• The aim of the course is to form young, bright and talented professionals able to start up new venture, manage complex projects and become next wave technical consultants.
• The students will get a hand on experience and unique education in the rapidly expanding area of nanotechnology.
This course is recognized by RTM Nagpur University and a diploma will be awarded by the University.
This is one year diploma on regular basis.
It contains two papers of 100 marks each and research project of 200 marks, as follows;
Since the year 2006, the department of law has constituted an association of students called the Students’ Moot Court Association (SMCA). This is a body of the students and teachers of the department, primarily for shaping the advocacy skills of the students of law. The body is governed by the Constitution of the SMCA, which has been drafted by the students themselves and as per the Articles of the Constitution, the office-bearers of this association hold office for a period of one year. The Principal of the college is the ex-officio Chairperson of the association, and the positions of the Supervisor and Co-ordinator of SMCA respectively are occupied by senior faculty members. The student office-bearers comprise of Core-Committee members, Executive members and Volunteer committee members. Every year a new team of students take over from the outgoing team. They take office after an impressive oath-taking ceremony which has been the hallmark of every successive years’ installation programme. On taking office the office-beare conduct activities that are crucial in training the students of law to become successful lawyers at the Bar. For students of law, moot court halls are their laboratories and Moot-court competitions, their experiments. This activity is thus at the heart of all activities in a law school. It is not enough to train the students in understanding the law in theory only. Legal education is incomplete without an outlook to the practical application of law. Precise drafting skills, systematic researching of law, the art of sophisticated argumentation, command over language and a fine display of court mannerisms is what makes a successful lawyer at the Bar. We, at the department of law, through SMCA aspire to give all this and more to our students. The SMCA is thus engaged in organizing several activities throughout the year towards fulfilling this aspiration. Moot court competitions and moot court workshops occupy a central position, in the totality of programmes hosted by the SMCA.